John S. Jackson
John Savage Jackson (1853-1928), was born in Jackson, Madison County, Tenn., the son of Edward J. and Mary Elizabeth (Barnes) Jackson. He died in Greenway, Ark., and is buried in the Winstead Cemetery, located west of Greenway. By 1870 he had moved with his parents to Saline County, Ill. John's first marriage was to Mary Brown on Nov. 2, 1873, in Saline County, and she died at age 21 and is buried in Illinois. His second marriage was to Mary Elizabeth Smith (1862-1914), in October of 1878, in Saline County, Ill., and she is the mother of his eight children—Charlie, Robert, Joseph, Annie, James Edward, Stella Elizabeth, Evia and John Delbert Jackson. Mary Elizabeth is buried in the Winstead Cemetery, along with Annie V. Winstead, the wife of son Joseph Jackson; son Charlie Jackson, son James Jackson and daughter Annie Jackson Bracken. There are only 13 stones in this small family cemetery.
John Savage played violin extremely well, and could play classical as well as ragtime music. After his death his violin was given to his son, John Delbert, and upon his death the violin was given to his grandson, Aubrey Eldridge, who would pass it down to his son, Paul Stahl.
The children of John Savage and Mary Elizabeth will be taken up individually.
Charles Jackson (1880-1911) was born in Illinois and died in Greenway. He married Dora Bracken (1888-1963) and they had two children: Clyde A. (1908-1978) and Hulon Edward (1910-1946). Charles was struck and killed by lightning at age 31 and is buried in the Winstead Cemetery. Dora died in Benton County, Tenn.
Robert Jackson (1882-1967) was born in Anna, Union County, Ill., and is buried in the Mitchell Cemetery near Greenway. He married Ella Elizabeth Payne (1883-1940), the daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Debora Nettles Payne, on Jan. 14, 1905, at Greenway, and she is also buried in the Mitchell Cemetery. He married Louise Gould on May 10, 1950, in Rector, and she had been married four times before her marriage to Robert. Ella Payne Jackson had these children-(1) Aaron Harold, who married Mina Baldridge in Wayne, Mich. (2) Walter Ray Jackson, who married three times and died in Temple, Tex. Blanche Lavey Jackson, who married Thomas Ford and Miller Kline and died in Hot Springs. (4) Leslie Doyle Jackson, who married in Indiana and died in Walnut Ridge. (5) Oma Zaheila Jackson married Prentice Walker in Detroit, Mich. (6) Robert Ford Jackson married Peggy. (7) Mary Marguerite Jackson married Ralph L. Ellison and Wayland Holcomb. (8) John Rex Jackson married Marjorie Ferguson and Blondell Ellison and died in Colorado. Charlie was a farmer and never bought a farm of his own, but rented from Paul M. Pfeiffer. He bred cattle and hogs and took them to Chicago to be sold. Farmer from around would bring their stock to be bred. Charlie was in the Piggott Hospital a month before he died.
Joseph “Joe” Jackson (1883-1953) was born in Harrisburg, Ill., and died in Piggott. He married Anna Victoria Winstead, daughter of John S. and Victoria Winstead, in March of 1906, and she died the following year. Anna Victoria had a son and he died in July of 1929. Joe married Florence Baldwin and to this union three daughters were born. The oldest daughter preceded her father in death on April 5, 1931. He leaves his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Lois Vinyard of Royal Oak, Mich. And Mrs. Leah Smart of Piggott; four grandchildren, Joey, Florence and Sandra Vinyard and Joan Carole Smart. The family attended the Greenway Church of Christ, and the Piggott church after they moved to Piggott. He is buried in the Mitchell Cemetery.
Annie Jackson (1886-1909) was born in Illinois and died in Clay County. She married William Merrow Bracken, son of William and Susan Cleo Self Bracken, in 1906 and they had one child, Bertha Bracken (1907-1925). Annie and Bertha Bracken are buried in the Winstead Cemetery.
James Edward Jackson (1888-1907) was born in Illinois and died in Clay County at the age of 19. He's buried in the Winstead Cemetery.
Stella Elizabeth Jackson (1892-1978) married Julia Stahl about 1915 and died in Pine Bluff, Ark. Their children were Melvin, Aubrey Eldridge, Julian B., Jr., Deva E. Jones and Douglas Stahl.
Elvia Jackson (1895-1968) died in Memphis, Tenn.
John Delbert Jackson (1891-1961), died in Leesburg, Va., and was married to Carolyn, who had two sons. He was a retired horse trainer, and an Army veteran of World War I. He died in the Loudoun City Hospital, Leesburg, Va., after a short illness. After the war Mr. Jackson trained horses at the Madeira School, near Washington, D.C., and later operated a riding school a Four Corners, Md. He went to Loudoun City in 1944 from Maryland, and bought a farm near Aldie, which he operated for 10 years. He later trained horses for Fenton Fadeley in Waterford. He retired in 1960, and had since lived in Poeonian Springs, Va. He was buried in the Arlington National Cemetery. He was a sergeant in the quartermaster corps of the Remount Detachment of the U.S. Army during World War I, and was in charge of Stable No. 1 at the White House.
(Thanks to Darlene Jackson Hofer, great-granddaughter of John Savage Jackson, of Tennessee, for sharing her research on the family. She and her husband, Ed, have been here a few times to clean up growth in the cemetery. Dorris Cox helped in the first clean-up of the cemetery, when it was overgrown with vines, trees and saplings. Donald Cluck also worked on the property where the cemetery is located, hauling away the brush from the location—and holding a huge bonfire.)
CORRECTION-Martha French Capps, of Little Rock, sent a correction on the Asa Lamp story of June 21, 2017. (5) Louella “Lou” Lamp married Clarence Oran Doty and had three children, instead of the two named—Effie Arabelle Doty, William Hubert Doty and Henry L. Doty. At age 15 Effie married Barney French and they had three children. Barney deserted the family in 1930, and Effie and her children were living with her brothers and uncles in the household of Henry Lamp, and they were listed under the name Lamp in the 1930 Census. Martha also sent a Bible record and pages from the minutes of the Cache Valley Missionary Baptist Church, which no longer exists.