Rector home damaged in fire

Thursday, January 26, 2012
A fireman is assisted by other firefighters in exiting a back room at the Nick Thompson home Monday after venting equipment was installed to rid the house of heavy smoke. (TD photo/Nancy Kemp)

A fire possibly caused by an electrical malfunction heavily damaged the Nick Thompson home in Rector on Monday afternoon, Jan. 23.

The Rector Fire Department was called to the home at 320 East First Street at 3:50 p.m. Heavy smoke was pouring from the southeast corner of the home and the first firefighter on the scene found heavy fire in a back room, which spread into the walls and attic and into the adjoining kitchen and utility room.

Fireman worked quickly to vent the home and extinguish hot spots. The Rector Fire Department was assisted at the scene by units from Greenway and Marmaduke, and while the fire was contained, the home and its contents suffered heavy smoke and fire damage estimated at $97,500.

Thompson told firemen he went home around 2 p.m. and found the house dark. He contacted Entergy, he said, and was told there were no other outages in the area. After turning the breakers on and off, the power returned. After Thompson left to pick up his children at school, a neighbor reported smoke coming from the home.

A fire report noted the origin of the Thompson fire appeared to be the breaker box in the back bedroom.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: