Rector Firefighters Hampered by Power Crew
A Rector home was destroyed by fire during the morning of Monday, Jan. 7. Reports of heavy smoke and fire emerging from the 502 E. 6th Street home of Paul Edwards and his family were received at approximately 4:15 a.m. Monday.
Crews from the Rector Fire Department quickly arrived at the scene, but faced a problem which would exacerbate the situation when firefighters learned the power to the burning home had not been cut. Calls to Entergy, who provides power to homes throughout Rector, failed to get a response. Crews worked to contain the blaze as best they could, being unable to directly douse the structure with water due to the risk of electrocution and feedback. Entergy representatives arrived on the scene approximately two hours after the initial call, disconnecting the power and allowing the RFD to directly battle the blaze. Unfortunately, much of the structure was destroyed by the time the power had been properly disconnected.
RFD firefighters took all available steps to protect neighboring structures and property. Crews were on-site for over three hours, with much of the time spent securing neighboring structures and properties from the blaze until work could continue at the scene of the fire.
No injuries were reported at the scene.