Fire crews called to Weaver's Transmission

Friday, February 22, 2013
Firefighters work to clear an entrance into Weaver's Transmission

A large fire caused massive damage to Weaver's Transmission, located at 701 S. Main Street in Rector, Friday afternoon. Unofficial reports at the scene indicated a small explosion took place during the early stages of the fire, which further caused the flames to spread within the structure. Initial reports at the scene indicated everyone present at the time of the fire as having escaped unharmed.

Fire departments from Rector, Greenway, Marmaduke and Piggott arrived at the business, preventing the blaze from spreading to neighboring buildings. Due to the various chemicals and materials in use in the building, the scene quickly filled with acrid smoke, hindering visibility to a greater degree than average.

The portion of S. Main Street near Weaver's Transmission--from the visitor's center to the railroad crossing--was closed while firefighters worked to gain control of the situation. The street will be reopen once the fire has been extinguished.

More details will appear in the Feb. 27 edition of the Times-Democrat.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: