Area Departments Unite to Battle Rector Fire

Thursday, February 28, 2013
Firefighters from area departments battle the blaze Friday

Four area fire departments were involved Friday afternoon, Feb. 22, in bringing under control a large fire at Weaver's Transmission, located at 701 South Main Street in Rector.

Piggott, Greenway and Marmaduke firefighters joined the Rector Fire Department in the effort after flames broke out in the shop area of the business and a small explosion in the fire's early stages caused the blaze to spread within the structure.

Initial reports at the scene indicated everyone present at the time of the fire escaped unharmed.

Emergency crews were contacted around 1 p.m. with reports of the fire. Several area volunteers rushed to the site, joining the Rector Fire Department in the early struggle at the scene.

The neighboring fire crews offered support to the Rector FD in preventing the blaze from spreading to neighboring buildings.

Due to the various chemicals and materials in use in the building, the structure quickly filled with acrid smoke, hindering visibility to a greater degree than average, firemen said.

The intense smoke caused employees to evacuate the neighboring Crockett Oil Company building, as well as transport important documents from the scene during the early stages of the fire next door.

For the most part, the fire was contained within the shop area. Crews worked to vent the building through the use of the large, garage style doors, improving visibility and allowing teams to attack the flames from inside the building.

Crews remained at the scene for several hours, ensuring the blaze would not reignite.

No official report on the fire was available at last report.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: