Fire Destroys Rector Home

Thursday, April 11, 2013
Firefighters from Rector, Greenway and Marmaduke united to battle a blaze Sunday.

The Rector, Greenway and Marmaduke Fire Departments were called to a fire at 115 Crest Drive in Rector Sunday evening. Despite the efforts of the emergency responders, the home, the residence of tenant Kevin Abbott and owned by David Smith of Rector, was considered a total loss in the blaze.

The Rector Fire Department received a call reporting the back porch of the residence was on fire at 6:33 p.m. Sunday evening. Crews arrived at the scene within five minutes of receiving the initial call, at which time heavy smoke was visible and the kitchen, den and living room areas were fully involved. Additionally, the rear deck, or porch, and a storage building were also in flames.

Firefighters established two engines to suppress the blaze. An attack team made its way inside through the front door while another group approached the storage building and the rear of the house.

The RFD requested mutual aid from Greenway, manpower, and Marmaduke, manpower and backup engine. Entergy was notified to cut power at the residence.

The three departments were able to gain control of the blaze, despite the collapse of the roof over the kitchen and living area.

It is believed the fire spread quickly due to the presence of 15-20 mph wins. The cause of the fire is believed to be a charcoal grill, which was in use at the time. The fire was able to spread through the structure with the combination of winds and open doors creating a tunnel effect within the home.

No injuries were included in the RFD report, but it was noted the quickly spreading fire prevented the family from retrieving personal items from the home. The report stated the tenant and owner were insured.

Brush Fire

The RFD responded to a brush fire at the 2226 US Highway 49 estate of Tina Bishop near Hargrave's Corner just after 8 p.m. Monday night.

Dispatchers received a call at 8:05 p.m. indicating a brush fire was spreading toward a dwelling near Hargrave's Corner. Upon arrival, the RFD found a burning brush pile 75 feet south of the aforementioned dwelling with winds from the south pushing intense heat north to the structure. The fire had caused the vinyl siding on the home to melt. The fire was quickly extinguished.

Fire crews spoke with the owner of the property, who indicated he had given the tenants permission to burn brush, but was unaware the winds were gusting so strong at the time. The owner continued to monitor the brush pile to ensure it did not reignite.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: