Mohawk Football Season Underway

Thursday, September 12, 2013
Mohawk running back Nick Haywood rushed for 118 yards in the season opener at Yellville-Summit.

The Mohawks hit the road this past Friday to visit the hosting Panthers of Yellville-Summit in a back-and-forth contest which ended in a 30-30 tie. Both football teams gave a solid effort in a physical confrontation, ending in a tie as it was a non-conference matchup for both squads to start the season.

"It was a hard-hitting game," Mohawk head coach Dave Hendrix said of the contest. "It's hard to go there and win. We didn't play our best, but we played physical; they did, too."

Yellville-Summit took the momentum early, scoring on their first two possessions of the contest to move ahead 14-0 with 2:42 remaining in the opening frame.

The Mohawks, undaunted, came right back with a shot to mouth, scoring 24 unanswered against their hosts, 16 of which came in the second quarter.

Bradley Stephens capped off a strong drive with a five-yard touchdown carry in the second quarter. Richard Shaw ran in the successful conversion to bring the Mohawks within six points, 14-8, with 5:31 left in the first half.

Yellville advanced into Piggott territory on their following drive, but Logan Dixon made a huge play for the Tribe on defense, intercepting a pass from Panther quarterback Caleb Gilley. Dixon bought the ball back 66 yards for the touchdown with 39 seconds left in the half. Nick Haywood pounded in the conversion to give the Mohawks a 16-14 advantage going into halftime.

Piggott opened the second half with the ball, looking ready to continue their strong play. Stephens capped off a 45-yard with an 18-yard touchdown tromp. Nick McKinnie ran in the successful conversion, giving Piggott a 24-14 lead early in the second half.

Yellville-Summit's Cale Howk got the Panthers back in the game with a 30-yard scoring run with 7:27 remaining in the third. Howk ran in the conversion, as well, cutting the Mohawk advantage to two points, 24-22.

Haywood scored on a seven-yard carry with 2:40 left in the third quarter. The try for two was halted by the hosts, though, keeping the door open with an eight point Piggott advantage, 30-22.

Yellville-Summit would tie the game at 30-30 with 10:26 remaining in the fourth frame on a seven-yard carry by Blade Davenport. Gilley carried in the successful conversion to force the tie.

The Mohawks threatened to go up late, putting together a long drive which ate up around seven of the remaining minutes of the contest. Piggott was unable to put home a first-and-goal situation, battling a fumbled snap and a two-yard loss on fourth-and-goal from the Panther two-yard-line.

"We had a couple of missed assignments and mistakes that hurt us late," Hendrix said. "This game is something we can build on moving forward."

Haywood led the Tribe with 118 yards on 18 carries. Stephens added 71 yards on 10 carries. McKinnie gained 42 yards on six carried.

Howk led Yellville-Summit with 159 yards on 18 carries. Gilley added 110 yards on 13 carries.

The Mohawks are set to visit the Brookland Bearcats beginning at 7 p.m. Friday. Last season, Piggott was leading Brookland 8-0 in the opening minute of the two teams' meeting at Parker Field when the contest was called due to lightning. Last Friday night the Bearcats began their season with a 54-43 win over Brinkley.

The Tribe is set to open play at home against Palestine-Wheatley on Friday, Sept. 20.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: