Tribe Sweeps Hoxie at Home

Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Quinton Mauldin drives the baseline for two points in Friday night's Mohawk home win over Hoxie.

The Piggott Mohawks began the conference portion of their schedule in the past week, dropping a game to Rivercrest and then beating the Hoxie Mustangs at PHS. The Tribe is scheduled to remain idle through the Christmas and New Year's break, and will return to action in January.


The Mohawks hosted the Rivercrest Colts in 3A-3 conference play last Tuesday, and dropped a 76-44 decision to the visitors from Mississippi County. The Colts had four players in double figures on the night, as they rode a big third quarter to the victory. Mohawk Head Coach David Reynolds was also ejected from the ballgame, and as a result was disqualified from coaching the varsity team Friday night as they beat Hoxie.

As they have much of the season, the Mohawks came out slow in their game with Rivercrest and trailed 18-10 by the end of the first quarter. But, the Tribe responded in the second frame with better offense, and defense, as they pulled to within 7, and trailed 34-27 at the break.

But, the Colts came out and posted a strong third period, as they outscored the Mohawks 23 to 8 in the frame, and took a 57-35 advantage into the fourth quarter.

Brayden Brewer led all scorers with 18 for the Mohawks, while Faishhaun Virgies had 17 to pace the Colts. Also in double figures for the Mohawks was Nicholas Harris with 10, while Nick McKinnie finished with 6, Beau Jett fouled out late with 4, Logan Dixon had 3, Quinton Mauldin had 2 and the newest member of the team, Trevon Allen, had a free-throw as he was also in the scoring.

As a team the Mohawks converted on 22 of 32 trips to the free-throw line, while the Colts were 9 of 19 from the charity stripe on the game.


With Mohawk Head Coach David Reynolds forced to sit out the contest due to his ejection against Rivercrest, assistant Coach Alan Rabjohn guided the Tribe in their home game Friday night against Hoxie. He was assisted by Lady Mohawk Head Coach, and PES Principal, Barry DeHart.

And, despite the shake-up, the Mohawks responded with one of their strongest games of the year as they took the contest.

Unlike other nights, the Mohawks came out ready for the Mustangs Friday night, and immediately jumped to an early lead. A strong first quarter from Piggott's Brayden Brewer, and a cold start for the Hoxie three-point shooters, gave the Mohawks the early edge and they continued to capitalize on the opportunity as the game progressed.

Brewer had 7 of his 20 points in the first quarter, as the Mohawks jumped out to a 13-7 advantage by the end of the opening frame. The Mustangs did respond some in the second, but the Mohawks were able to make adjustments and took a 31-26 lead into the locker room at intermission.

In the second quarter the Mustang long-distance shooters began to find their range, and Hoxie began to make a run on the Tribe. But, the Mohawks responded with several big baskets of their own, including a crowd-pleasing dunk by McKinnie, as they remained on top.

As the second quarter progressed the visitors continued to show improvement, and late in the first half the Mustangs came within a basket of pulling into a tie. But, a big rebound and coast-to-coast layup by Dixon kept the home team ahead.

Harris came up big for the Mohawks in the third quarter, scoring 9 of the teams 17 points in the frame as they stretched the lead to 7. He ended up fouling out late in the contest, and finished with 16. Mauldin also came off the bench and made a big impact, scoring 10 of his 12 points on the game in the second half of play. Other bench players also had big moments, including a key rebound by Noah May and two well-timed three point baskets by Peyton Mann.

Down the stretch the Mustangs tried to get back into the ballgame by sending the Mohawks to the free-throw line, but the Tribe converted on 7 of 10 trips to the charity stripe in the fourth quarter to secure the win.

Along with Brewer's 20, Harris' 16 and Mauldin's 12, the Tribe also got 9 from McKinnie, 6 from Mann and 2 each from Dixon, Jett and May. As a team they were 11 of 14 from the free throw line on the night. As for the Mustangs, they were led by Tristan Sisco with 24, while Noah Anderson had 15 and James Johnson finished with 14. As a team they were 9 of 16 from the free throw line.

The Mohawk boys teams are now scheduled to remain idle until Friday, Jan. 2, when they'll host non-conference Hillcrest. They'll also be in action on the road in non-conference play on Monday, Jan. 5, as they're slated to visit Ridgefield Christian.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: