Mary Helen (Scurlock) Schumacher
Mary Helen (Scurlock) Schumacher was born December 6, 1927, in Piggott, Ark., where she was raised by her parents Edward and Helen Scurlock. She is the last of the Scurlock children to return to Piggott and is pre deceased by her brother Vance and two sisters Dorothy Crane and Louise Muther. During her years growing up in Piggott, she referred to her pony “Clown” as her best friend. We all know that Mary made many best friends throughout her life.
She died August 20, 2017, at Reno, Nev.
During her college years at the University of Arkansas, she was involved in many activities which included; acting, YWCA, Major-Minor club and the TRI Delta sorority which she made many lifelong friends and bridge partners. During her senior year when visiting her sister Louise, she introduced her to a young engineer, Charles “Chuck” Henry Schumacher, who was working with her husband. A short while later he asked her to marry after she finished college. They married in Piggott on June 24, 1949, then packed their bags for California. They settled in the Palo Alto area and over the years gave birth to three boys.
As her boys ventured out she participated with them in their activities like golfing, hiking, white water rafting, hunting, camping, and flying but her favorite was playing bridge with her husband and good friends. Her goal in life was to help and serve others. She was happiest when she could do something for you, asking everyone all the time “What can I do to help”.
In September 1998 she lost Chuck and eventually moved from Palo Alto to Reno, Nev., in 2000 to be closer to family. She enjoyed making new friends and lived a full and happy life involved in her family, church and other local groups.
Mary is survived by her three sons, Charles Scott Schumacher of Louisiana, Stephen Schumacher of Reno and William Schumacher of Bend, Ore. and their families including nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 3, at the Piggott Cemetery under the direction of Rev. John P. Hiegel, First United Methodist Church, Piggott.