RFD Responds to House Fire

Thursday, December 28, 2017
Investigators believe the cause of last Monday's fire in Rector was due to an electrical malfunction.
courtesy photo

Investigators believe an electrical malfunction was the cause of an early morning blaze on Monday, Dec. 18, which heavily damaged a home in Rector. According to reports from the Rector Fire Department, they were summoned to the home at 107 East 2nd around 6:41 a.m. and found heavy smoke billowing from the attic vent at the west end of the structure.

The narrative noted the firefighters found a blaze had begun in the corner of the cooking area of the kitchen, and extinguished the fire with assistance from the Greenway Fire Department. Reports also indicated the Marmaduke Fire Department was on stand-by to provide mutual aid if needed.

The home is the property of Robby Bearden, and according to the report was unoccupied by only recently vacated by the previous tenants. The report further noted the utilities were still connected.

The fire was brought under control a short time later, and firefighters remained on the scene until around 8:10.

The investigation revealed the fire originated in the area of the fuse box, and firefighters believed the cause was related to the wiring. The initial damage estimates were set at $20,000 and noted the blaze was limited to just the corner of the kitchen.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: